To meet the needs of the K-1 students who have been identified at risk for dyslexia, the staff of the Luke Waites Center for Dyslexia and Learning Disorders at Scottish Rite for Children has developed a 100-lesson reading intervention called BUILD: A K-1 Early Reading Intervention. BUILD is a small group intervention that addresses five specific components of reading intervention. Each component is taught developmentally using a direct, systematic, cumulative, multisensory method of introduction and practice to meet the specific needs of Kindergarten and first-grade students struggling in reading.
1. Alphabet: the identification of letters, sequencing skills, and alphabetizing.
2. Letter/sound knowledge: the direct instruction of individual letters and sounds, leading to the practice of reading words and sentences.
3. Phonological awareness: the explicit introduction of the relationships between speech-sound production, from rhyme to spelling.
4. Vocabulary: the direct teaching of strategies using context clues to infer the meaning of unfamiliar words.
5. Comprehension: the explicit teaching of specific learning strategies used to identify the basic components of a story.
THE LEARNING LOFT
The Written Word
Center for Dyslexia and Learning
319 S. Naperville Road, Suite 201
Wheaton, IL 60187
The BUILD Intervention Kit costs $750 and will be purchased through the Scottish Rite for Children (SRC) online portal. After registration and payment for the training are received, instructions to purchase materials from SRC will be emailed. The purchase of a kit is required to attend the BUILD training.
Materials in the BUILD Intervention Kit include:
The training fee and additional materials cost $350.00 per certified teacher or CALT not trained at The Written Word.
The training fee and additional materials cost $290.00 per Take Flight trained CALT or CALT in training through The Written Word.
Note: Individuals who are trained in Take Flight: A Comprehensive Intervention for Students with Dyslexia through The Written Word will not receive a copy of Aunt Isabel Tells a Good One or the No Glamour Language Cards Box.
Additional materials received through The Written Word Center for Dyslexia and Learning include:
Please fill in the information below and click submit. Your acceptance into BUILD training will be confirmed within two business days via email. Instructions for ordering materials from Scottish Rite for Children and submitting payment for the training will be provided in the email.